NINE asylum seekers from the same family have gone on trial in the Austrian capital Vienna for the New Year’s Eve 2015 gang rape of a 28-year-old German teacher.
1.Mohamed Al-A; 2. Nazar Al-J; 3. Mohammed Al-T; 4. Alaa Al-J; 5. Hader Al-A; 6. Mustafa Al-J; 7. Nael Al-J; 8. Marwan Al-J; 9. Sabah Al-J.
Most of them deny the charges but DNA proved that sperm from six of them was found in or on her body.
- The court heard how the victim arrived in Vienna on December 28, 2015 to spend the New Year with a female friend in the city. Shortly before 3.00am the friend of Sabine noticed she was no longer there and was told by another patron that the men she had been talking with had “taken her away.”
- The defendants, aged between 22 and 45, all arrived in Austris between May and December 2015 via the Balkan route.
- Judge Petra Poschalko heard how the woman was taken by four of them to an apartment in Vienna’s Rustenschacher Allee where five other men were waiting.
- After the attacks, which went on for several hours, the victim needed in-patient treatment at a trauma clinic and now is under psychiatric care for post traumatic stress disorder. She had another breakdown at the weekend and was too fragile to be in court to face her attackers.
- They spoke only Arabic throughout the attack.
- Only one man, Mohamed Al-A., 31, admitted his role in the rapes and he sobbed in court and said he was “really drunk” on vodka at the time.
- And he further admitted: “This act is a crime in Iraq.”
- Medical experts testified she was raped multiple times and sodomised.